considering it is our last day together I figured I would guest blog, so Bailee's readers can enjoy our daily adventures from my (Courtney's) perspective.
quote of the day: "this is raw meat."
we causally awoke and got ready this morning leaving the hotel in search of a bakery. I needed a coffee and bai needed a pretzel. however, we settled with pizza. walking by a man eating what looked like a breakfast pizza we asked him what it was called. well of course we could hardly pronounce it so quickly memorizing the name and I ran to the counter and luckily they understood me. soon after we were eating pizza for breakfast with coffee and a smoothie.
yesterday we explored the city a lot, but there was a few key locations we had not visited. our main goal was to find the Royal Palace. first we found the opera house which had intelligent architecture, so obnoxious camera obsessed tourist can explore. we literally climbed the building and took tons of pictures a long the way. Bailee is busy taking panoramas of the coast, while I am staying clear from the edge.
for the readers who do not know, I HATE BIRDS! of course nasty seagulls are everywhere along the edge. "Courtney just come here real quick take a pic." I made it safely to the edge and sure enough a seagull comes straight at us causing us both to hit the deck screaming. my hands are shaking, Bailee is laughing, and we are lying on the floor. everyone around us is crying laughing while the American girls fear for their lives. not okay.
our next key location was what we thought was the Royal Palace, but instead a Fortress. it was full of history and beautiful. we spent most of our time exploring the area taking too many pictures. parts of the fortress seemed to be still used for the Norwegian Armed Forces.
one part we were able to tour, our first and last tour of the trip. I am listening to the ghost stories on our audio guide and Bailee is getting creeped out by the coffins of multiple kings and queens in one of the rooms. I proceed to tell her about the stories and she is feeling more and more eerie about this place. the tour was not so memorable but glad we took it since we haven't done any all week.
as we are exiting, we hear a orchestra playing. we run down the hill hoping to catch a song or two. of course they stop playing directly when we arrive. then all the sudden a slow quite drum starts and gets louder and louder shaking the ground it's so loud. Bailee almost falls over as she squeals and runs behind me... I am laughing hysterical she is frightened by the atmosphere of the fortress and the music really sounded like a scary movie and everyone knows the blonde dies first (except Bailee because she has never seen a scary movie lol) they played a couple Star Wars songs and we decided to leave the iffy place.
we stopped at the giant screening of the soccer game to relax and get a snack.
Bailee got a Fanta and I got a beer, we both shared some popcorn. it was a lot more relaxed and not nearly as many people as yesterday.
I had to use the restroom on the way out, so Bailee went ahead waiting for me outside the gate. well as you know I got my umbrella taken away yesterday and of course forgot to grab it. today I remembered. I told the man I had a black one and he said, "here just have this one." it was polka dotted. truthfully, I think there was 1,000 umbrella taken away. I approached Bailee and she is holding an umbrella too.
"bai, who's is that?"
"I thought I would grab yours on the way out!"
well shit. now we are thieves. debating whether we stand in the 30 minute line to return it... we told a security guard what happened and he said, "it okay, everyone forget it anyway." good thing he let us keep it because it really started raining afterwards.
finally, we stumbled upon the Palace. it is an awkward hard consist rain at this point, so we did not spend a lot of time there. Bailee is wearing sandals and I still do not have a jacket. we are not the best travelers.
right as we are leaving some of the guards begin blowing a horn and marching, confused as to what is going on of course we stop and stare. barely capturing the moment on video a royal vehicle pulls up right by us and instantly we say, "the queen!" the vehicle pulls straight into the Palace so we do not see anyone exit the car. honestly, it could have been her hair dresser, but the excitement was great. as you can tell!
Bailee previously mentioned how well we get around a city. it is true. I think we would be great candidates for the tv show Amazing Race. she would be laughing and I would be so stressed. people would probably think we are insane, but you all do and still love us, so it is really fine.
our luck for finding a reindeer dish has finally come to an end. not because we caved in and bought it for 35$ but because the meat isn't in season! no wonder why we couldn't find this "traditional Norwegian meal" anywhere. we chose a weird weird place to eat. thinking we would get two different dishes and split them so we can have both. Bailee ordered a Norwegian beef and I got a type of fish we have never heard before nor could we pronounce (iffy). our waitress brought us two baskets of bread and said, "I bet your hungry." everyone else in the restaurant got one basket... not quite sure what vibe we were giving off, but bread is always good lol. our food was delivered by a different waitress and as she said the name we were so confused. Bailee explained she got the beef and I ordered the fish. she had a confused look, I tried to explain that this was not the right fish, really not knowing what I ordered. oh well I'll eat what they gave me. it gets worst. Bailee says, "this is raw meat!" I was stunned staring at her plate. it looked like a hamburger meat patty straight from the freezer. she could not stop saying, "this is raw meat!" we were both seriously concerned Bailee is going to get sick. I tried it first and it was cold weird texture but did not taste too bad. she ate some of it, but mostly moved it around so it looked like she ate it and stuck with the potatoes. I quickly realized I was eating mussels and most defiantly not what I ordered. we are stubborn so we did not complain and ate our food. I really enjoyed the mussels and so did bai actually.
we most defiantly needed a desert afterwards. I have to admit, I have never ate so much candy, sugar, and pop in my life. Bailee's main food group is sugar so desert and sour candy is an everyday meal. anyway, for desert we were told to have a Norwegian waffle (always looking for the local food). well no one in the city of Oslo sales a dang waffle with brown cheese. quickly giving up we settled with a Norwegian cake and cheese cake. not very appetizing ! our food choice tonight was interesting.
on our way out the door was a flight of stairs. thinking to myself those are probably slippery since it has been raining all day. well it did not prepare me because next thing I know I am flat on my ass. people are asking me in different languages if I am okay and all I can hear is Bailee saying, "oh she is fine, she is fine." even though I have tears in my eyes, a sore ass probably bruised (no picture) and my white sweater full of dirt. mortified by the event trying to walk away Bailee is laughing louder than ever causing a scene taking pictures of the stairs lol
it's Friday night and Bailee and I are sitting in our hotel room at 8 pm already reminiscing our unforgettable week. not many people have the chance to travel through a few countries with their best friend. I am so happy we were able to plan a trip and cannot wait for our next one. thank you Bailee for coming to visit me and thank you to our parents for trusting us all the way across the world. I hope everyone enjoyed our stories and adventures as much as we did. until next time friends, and someone please remind Bailee to bring more underwear this time lol
























No comments:
Post a Comment